COVID-19 Smell Tests: Everything You Need to Know About the Cheaper Alternative to COVID-19 Testing
Businesses, venues, and organizations alike are struggling to keep up with the increasing costs of COVID-19 tests. Finally, there is a new alternative that is just as effective and up to 90% less expensive than traditional at-home COVID-19 tests.
What is a COVID-19 Smell Test?
Anosmia or hyposmia is a lost or diminished sense of smell. Studies show that a diminished sense of smell or lost sense of smell is a tell-tale sign of an infected COVID-19 person. This new technology that uses a smell test to identify people with a diminished sense of smell is becoming the fastest, cheapest, and most practical tool to help businesses, schools, organizations, venues, and campuses identify those who should be further tested for COVID-19.
How Does It Work?
The smell test system comes with a card that has integrated QR code technology into a phone app. Simply hand the card to the person taking the test, scan the QR code to open the phone app, and follow the instructions. The person will simply smell the card and report what they smelled into the app. Twenty seconds later, the app will deliver a pass or fail result that the person can show on their phone for the rest of the day.
What About the Science?
Based on several scientific studies, testing for loss of smell can be much more effective than testing people for high temperatures. Here are some stats based on several recent studies:
- COVID-19 is more strongly associated with loss of smell than with fever
- Actively screening for hyposmia results in up to 80% of COVID-19 positive people also testing positive for hyposmia
- COVID-19 patients are 27 times more likely to lose their smell
- Anosmia and hyposmia are earlier warning signs of COVID-19 than fever
“Loss of taste or smell should be something that should be incorporated along with a fever screening and other symptoms.” – Dr. Amesh Adalja, Johns Hopkins University Senior Scholar
What are the Features and Benefits of the Smell Testing?
Issuing smell testing for COVID-19 at your business or venue has many benefits to your organization. Some of those benefits and features of the test include:
- it is up to 90% less expensive than traditional COVID-19 at-home test kits
- get results in less than 20 seconds
- conserve resources by only further testing priority individuals
- dramatically reduce the spread of COVID-19
- does not rely on self-screening
- focused on testing during the highest period of infection (when there is loss of smell)
- creates “Day Pass” for each negative person
So, What’s Next?
If you are interested in getting more information about using this COVID_19 smell test at your business, school, venue, or organization, please contact us today for more information. We can also offer details about bulk pricing. Contact us today!